If your smile is in desperate need of cosmetic treatment, whether your teeth have small chips or stains, or require alignment, a smile makeover with Dr. Shahin Dabestani will change your life.
Rather than undergoing various cosmetic procedures over a long period of time, Dr. Dabestani can create a treatment plan that combines treatments and helps you get the most out of each cosmetic procedure, with incredible results.
The doctor will listen to your concerns about your smile, learning what you like and dislike about it, and customize your treatment plan to help you find the smile of your dreams.
To learn more about our smile makeover procedure, or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Dabestani, call our Mesa, AZ dental office today.
What is a Smile Makeover?
A smile makeover consists of two or more cosmetic dentistry treatments combined to restore your smile to beauty. Smile makeovers offer a fantastic alternative to plastic surgery, as they require less invasive work and typically cost less money. And, unlike most plastic surgery, you will notice the results of a smile makeover right away.
To begin the smile makeover process, you will attend a consultation with Dr. Dabestani. During the consultation, he will ask you to explain what features you like and dislike about your smile. You will need to look in the mirror and consider what features of your smile you want to change.
Perhaps you feel unhappy with the size and shape of your teeth. Maybe you do not like the positioning of your teeth, or feel that they need alignment. You may even have issues with the appearance of your gums. Whatever changes you want to see should be brought up to the doctor during your consultation.
After the consultation, Dr. Dabestani will perform a comprehensive oral exam, during which he will take note of any dental imperfections he finds, such as teeth that are stained or crooked.
During the exam, the doctor will take digital x-rays and intraoral photos of your mouth. He will use these images to create a model of your mouth that he can use to create a mockup of your treatment, allowing you to see a preview of the results.
The doctor will make you an active participant in the creation of your treatment plan, and you will give feedback on each procedure and bring up any questions you may have.
The doctor will create a treatment plan based on his exam and your input, detailing all of the procedures he will perform. It is important to note that some procedures will have to be performed in a particular order to ensure the best outcome.
For example, if the doctor is planning to include dental bonding, porcelain veneers, or a restoration as part of your treatment, along with a whitening treatment, he will need to perform the whitening treatment first, so the bonding or restorations can be tinted to match the new tooth color.
If Dr. Dabestani finds any issues during his initial exam that he feels may affect your oral health, he will take care of them before performing any cosmetic procedures.
Procedures We Can Include in Your Smile Makeover Plan
A smile makeover treatment plan may include two or more of the following procedures, in any combination.
- Whitening– The doctor will create custom-fit trays that you will take home and fill with a bleaching agent. The gel contains peroxide, which absorbs into the enamel and releases oxygen to break up the stain molecules. You will wear the trays for a short time each day, and after about two weeks you will see a noticeable difference in the whiteness of your teeth. If you suffer from intrinsic stains, you may find chemical whitening treatments ineffective. In these cases, the doctor will need to use a white crown or porcelain veneer to cover the stain.
- Bonding– The doctor will use a composite resin to repair small chips, fill in gaps between your teeth, and cover mild, yet permanent stains that fail to respond to whitening treatments. He can tint the resin to match the natural color of your teeth, making the repairs virtually indistinguishable. Cosmetic bonding requires no anesthesia, making it one of the quickest and easiest treatments available.
- Veneers– Much like bonding, the doctor uses these porcelain shells to repair chips, fill in gaps between teeth, and cover stubborn stains. He can also use veneers to correct misaligned or misshapen teeth. Veneers fit over the front of your visible teeth, and require minimal preparation. With proper care, porcelain veneers can last over 20 years.
- Invisalign– A revolutionary alternative to metal bracket and wire braces, the Invisalign program involves patients wearing removable clear plastic aligners to gently move their teeth into place. Treatment takes less time than traditional braces with the average patient wearing 20-30 sets of aligners over a period of 12-18 months. Patients must wear the aligners for a minimum of 20 hours each day, but they can remove them to clean their teeth and eat, removing the food restrictions associated with traditional braces. Thanks to the virtually invisible clear aligners, patients can have their teeth straightened while maintaining their professional appearance.
- White Crowns – Our dental crowns, made of ceramic or zirconia, fit over damaged teeth to repair decay, fractures and other damage. The doctor can also use them to cover a root canal therapy site. Crowns require some preparation to the tooth involving the removal of part of the outer enamel layer. The crown, however, will seal the tooth off from bacteria and infection, and will provide structure and strength for the tooth.
- White Fillings – The most commonly performed cosmetic procedure, a filling repairs a tooth damaged by decay. The doctor will fill your cavities with a composite resin, which he can mold and shape easily. He can tint the resin to match the color of your natural teeth, allowing your fillings to blend in and look natural, rather than leaving a dark spot in your smile like metal fillings.
- Bridges– The doctor will use a bridge to replace one or more missing teeth in a row. Your bridge will consist of one or more prosthetic teeth, called pontics, with a dental crown on each end to hold it in place. The doctor will place the crowns over the teeth on either side of the gap left by the missing teeth, providing stable support for the pontics.
- Partial and Complete Dentures – Partial and complete dentures replace teeth missing due to decay, gum disease or facial trauma. The doctor will use a partial if you still have teeth remaining on the arch, and a complete denture to replace all of the teeth in an arch. Partials typically clip onto adjacent teeth, while dentures rely on adhesives or natural suction of the mouth, depending on the type and placement, to stay in place and fit snugly against your gums.
Most likely, your smile makeover plan will be performed in stages, not in a single visit, to allow for recovery time between procedures.
Your Cosmetic Dentist in Mesa
Dr. Dabestani has been practicing dentistry for several years, and has continued to educate himself in the latest and greatest dental techniques and instruments by attending hundreds of hours of continuing education.
The doctor has a passion for all aspects of dentistry, especially cosmetic dentistry. His passion and experience make him a cosmetic dentist you can put your trust in.
Call Us for a Consultation
If you would like to learn more about the smile makeover procedure, or want to schedule a consultation with Dr. Dabestani, contact our Mesa, AZ dental office today.